It’s that time again when we tag our friends/colleagues along to interact with nature, brave the elements, test our fitness, and compete for the title of ‘Forest Champion’, all for the noble cause of raising funds for the rehabilitation and restoration of key water catchment forests in Kenya.
Here are a few hacks to make sure you’re maximizing fun and minimizing impact during your #Forest Challenge Experience:
WHAT SHOULD I BRING?
- Your e-ticket.
- Running shoes that you don’t mind trashing.
- Change of clothes, sandals and a towel are highly recommended.
- Cash for parking and additional money for beverages and food.
- Sealable plastic bag if you want to keep keys, phone and money on you while you race.
- Blanket to spread out for friends and family (spectators) who you’ve brought along to cheer you on!
WHAT SHOULD I WEAR?
EVERYTHING will get muddy, so make sure you don’t wear your favorite running attire.
We suggest wearing:
- Light, quick drying running shorts and running shirt
- Older pair of running shoes. They’ll be all muddy at the finish, and you can donate them if you wish
- Socks you don’t mind throwing away (or being brown from now on)!
Sunglasses are nice, but make sure to hold on tight when in the mud and water.
Cameras are a blast, but make sure they’re waterproof!
Have a crazy costume? That’s fine, as long as your clothing does not put anyone (including yourself) in danger.
WHAT IS THE MINIMUM AGE?
Forest Challenge participants must at least be 14 years old to race. Any participants younger than 18 need to bring a parent or legal guardian on race day to sign a waiver.
There are a number of activities for spectators including with more accommodating age limits:
- Zumba dancing
- Treasure Hunt
- Ball games
You will need an ID no matter your age to register at the information stand.
WILL I HAVE TO SWIM?
No. Any water that you may need to cross will be no more than 3’-4’ deep.
WILL THERE BE WATER AND AID STATIONS?
Yes, the course will have aid stations along the course with water only. Snacks will be available at the finish line.
WHAT HAPPENS IF IT RAINS?
Really? You’re worried about getting wet? The Forest challenge will continue if it’s raining, snowing, or whatever! We do everything we can to put on the challenge in nasty weather but if participant safety or the venue is threatened by the weather, we may have to cancel. Sorry, there are no refunds due to weather.
WHAT IF I GET HURT ON THE COURSE?
Because we know how awesome our participants are, we do have volunteers roaming the course at all times in addition to the medical tent at the finish line.
If you do get hurt, and are around an obstacle, there will be a volunteer or a medic there that has direct communication with the event directors and we can send one of our medical teams to your location. If you are not around an obstacle, please tell a fellow participant to let the next obstacle volunteer or medical teams know and we’ll get help to you ASAP.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO FINISH?
It depends how hard core you are! The obstacle course is 8k but is WAY more fun and will take longer than your normal race. Just add 20-30 minutes onto your normal 5k race time.
The ticket price includes:
- Transport to and from Kereita Forest
- A healthy, filling snack
- Participation in the obstacle course
- Sponsors 10 trees towards rehabilitation of the forest
HOW DO I REGISTER/BUY A TICKET?
- Click here to view categories and pricing.
- Choose how many registrations you would like to purchase.
- Purchase your ticket via Mpesa or Visa Card.
HOW DO I JOIN OR CREATE A TEAM AFTER PAYING?
If purchasing less than 5 tickets (a team), no worries! A team will be created for you on the event day at Kereita, upon registration at the information stand.
Will you be our next Forest Champion?Register today!